Apply an SSL certificate to your school website and give parents peace of mind that your website can be trusted.
We all know that online data security is a serious issue. SSL certificates play a big part in keeping your website safe and secure.
In legislation that came into effect in May 2018, the new General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) set out principles that impact everyone with an online presence, not just large businesses and e-commerce sites.
What is an SSL certificate?
An SSL (Secure Sockets Layer) certificate is a recognised assurance that your website is authentic and that any personal data entered through it will be encrypted so that it cannot be intercepted by malicious third parties.
An SSL certificate on your website will help to:
- Keep personal or confidential information secure
- Prevent unauthorised access
- Encrypt any information sent via online forms
- Instil trust by validating that your website is owned by you
When you apply an SSL certificate to your website, your web address will change from HTTP: to HTTPS: and visitors will see a green padlock in the top left hand corner of the address bar in browsers such as Chrome.
Does my school website need an SSL certificate?
SSL certificates are becoming the standard. In an initiative to make the internet a more secure place, Google has started to rank websites with SSL certificates higher in their search results.
Search engines, such as Google, have also started alerting users when a website they are visiting is not secure, with further intentions to phase out non-secure http websites in the future.
Parents and other potential visitors to your school website are becoming familiar with these warnings and as a result, anyone wanting to be taken seriously on the internet will need to implement an SSL certificate on their website.
An SSL certificate provides many benefits:
- Keeps you up to date with current best practice on the internet
- Google gives an SEO ranking boost to sites with SSL encryption
- Visitors will not see unsettling warnings that your site is not secure
- Provides parents and other visitors with a professional level of trust and confidence
We are recommending that all our clients get SSL certified, especially if your school website does any of the following:
- Uses forms where users enter personal data, such as contact forms, applications or reporting a student’s absence
- Requires staff, parents or students to enter usernames and passwords
- Processes financial transactions such as paying for school trips
How do I implement an SSL certificate on my Cleverbox website?
The process of purchasing, installing and renewing an SSL certificate may seem daunting. There are many options available and the implications of incorrect installation or lapsed certificates can have a detrimental effect on your website.
To help schools get SSL certified, Cleverbox offers two levels of service:
Option 1 – Full SSL certification and ongoing management
Leave all the hassle of sourcing and managing your SSL certificate to us. You will never have to worry that your certification has lapsed or that your site is not secure. We use only reputable Certificate Authorities and will add the ongoing renewal and management cost to your annual hosting and support fee.
Our SSL Certification and management service includes:
- Installing the certificate on your website with no interruption to your website
- Updating the configuration to point to HTTPS instead of HTTP
- Re-verifying your site and sitemap with Google
- Testing and confirming a successful conversion
- Annually updating your certificate
Option 2 – Implementation only
Simply supply us with a certificate from an authorised source and we will charge a one-off installation fee to apply it to your website.
Please note, with this option, it will be the school’s responsibility to manage the renewal of the certificate each year. Should the certificate lapse for any reason, your website will be affected and a new certificate will need to be installed.
Read our blog post, Free vs Paid SSL Certificates: Which should you choose?, to find out about the benefits of a Paid SSL.
Find out more
If you are interested in this service and require further information, please complete the form below.
Alternatively, contact our team and they’ll be able to advise on the best option for your school website. Call us on 020 8466 7222 or email [email protected]